Here’s a compilation of small tips and trick that we hope will help both novice and more experienced players starting their first adventure in Star Wars: The Old Republic. We will be updating these on a regular basis so make sure you check back once in a while.
- Group loot: There is a handy option that will let you loot all the enemies you have killed and that are in your vicinity. Press Escape, go to Preferences, go to Controls, in the window with options on the right check the Area Loot option. You will loot ALL things now.
- Fast Travel: When you start on Hutta remember to click on the fast travel droid station located right outside the cantina you start in. It will help you get back to this quest hub faster later on.
- Bind Points: There are bind point terminals scattered all over every planet. You can bind to each one. Using your Quick Travel skill you can travel to any of the terminals you previously bound to, not just the latest one.
- Both factions can talk to each other through “/say”. There’s no cross-faction mail or socializing between them (no tells, no trading or grouping). The only way you’ll be able to send items to the characters of the opposing faction is through the neutral auction house on Nar Shaddaa, since it’s shared by both factions.
- Once you pick your spec you cannot change it.
- You can respec your talent skills at any time for credits.
- At level 25, you can get your first Speeder (vehicle or mount) for a total price of 48000 credits. 40k for the skill and 8k for the vehicle
- To link an item in the chat simply press SHIFT + left mouse click on the item
- If your UI freezes you can reset it by pressing CTRL + U twice.
- You can create new chat tab by right clicking on any existing tab.
- You can trigger some bonus quest by attacking monsters on your way.
- If you are in a dialogue with someone and you lead the conversation in a bad direction and want to repeat the conversation to see how your options effect someone, you can hit ‘esc’ and that exits the conversation. Once exited, it resets the conversation.
- If you want to have White Lightsaber there is a World Boss Ulgo Siegebreaker who drops Advanced White Resistance Crystal. Note: He doesn’t drop the crystal every time you kill him.
Companion related tips
- Your companion can sell trash (gray) items for you. Just right click on the companion icon and choose the option Sell trash items
- Being a dark-sided Sith Warrior gives you 2 romance options: Vette and Dark Jaesa Willsam.
- Your gender has no effect on companion’s gender and you cannot change it.
- There are level restrictions to how many companions you can send to craft at the same time. You can send 2 companions up to level 25, 3 companions up to level 35, 4 companions up to level 45, and 5 companions at level 45-50.
- You can customize your companion’s appearance, so it looks different from other companions, by adding look modification “item” to a special slot in companion character sheet. Press the C key on keyboard and choose companion tab. Appearance modification slot is next to the weapon slot. Look modifying items can be purchased from vendors or earned as quest rewards.
- Your companion will never leave or attack you, no matter how low is your affection with him.
- You will reduce the time for crafting by increasing affection with your companion. Also, the success rate on missions is increased with higher affection.
- You can talk with your companion in private in your ship or cantina rooms
- You can finish some group content like Heroic quests or Flashpoints with your companion (the group size can not exceed 4), but you cannot take them in PvP Warzones or Raids.
- All mission-based crew skills have the option of granting companion gift based missions (ONLY the mission-based ones though, not gathering ones).
- There are only 5 tiers of gifts, and so the gift-based missions on the 6th tier will always be “Rich” tier 5 missions.
- There are 5 tiers of affection divided into 2000 points each (so tier 1 is 0-1999, tier 2 is 2000-3999, etc).
- A gift WILL work for a tier above it, but it’s value will be halved for every tier you go up. So a tier 1 gift that is worth 24 affection on tier 1 will be worth 12 affection on tier 2, and 6 affection on tier 3.
Crew Skill (Crafting) related tips
- As of 1.1 update you get 225 exp for each crew skill trainer you visit (there are 14 trainers).
- As of 1.1 update characters need to be level 7 to take the shuttle to the Fleet. (Thanks rocdog)
- After gathering, you can leave your crafting materials in Cargo Hold (bank) and your companions can craft even though the materials aren’t in your bag.
- If you are unsatisfied with your crew skills you can easily unlearn it. Just press “n” key button, and then click the little x button beside the crew skill points.
- Once you hit level 10 you can join a PvP “arena”, or warzones as they are called in TOR. You can do this by clicking on the Republic/Empire logo near the mini-map to enter the queue.
- In The Old Republic you can be matched up with higher levels than you in a warzone, but that does not matter, because all your abilities and healtha are scaled so that none has a distinct advantage base on level of the character, just skill.
Space missions related tips
- Upon getting a star ship, you will have daily quests for space combat.
- You will gain huge experience by doing Space mission quests at your level. The difficulty and the level of the missions does not change, thus, as you level up the space missions become harder and the lower ones grant far less experience.
- Space missions are highly useful to alts