Before we get into just what class goes where and in what order, you have to understand the pattern that Bioware has put in place for planet progression. There are certain design decisions they have made to the process that will guide you through the planets until you reach a certain point in your leveling and story progression and then it opens up, with certain limitations.
Some of those limitations being:
- No matter what class you choose you will start on a world designated as a “Origin World”
- You pretty much have to start your progression through the planets in a certain manner until you gain control of your ships map and are able to use your ship for world hopping travel.
- Origin worlds have a two class limit per origin world of types of classes which can begin the game there.
- There are four total worlds considered to be “Origin Worlds” and they are faction specific and faction restricted.
- There are two total worlds considered to be “Capital Worlds” and they are faction specific and faction restricted.
- You cannot visit the Capital World of the opposing faction.
Hutta, Origin World
The manner in which they start you off is the same for all classes, until you reach the point in your class quest line where your ship affords you the ability to select a destination through its map usually about level ten or so and after you acquire your ship.
Origin World —-> Capital World —-> 3rd planet in progression —-> Onward using ship map
At the second stage of the progression where your ships map and travel ability opens up (shortly after getting your starship) is where you have to make the choice of whether you will follow the progression your class quest line steers you in, or will you strike off on your own exploring.
You may want to stay strictly within your class quest progression because you are wanting to see your classes story play out, or you may have other plans that include meeting with friends, getting to the GTM or etc. Its all a matter of player preference at this point in regards to how you want to play the game as either can be viable.
The best way I could think of to break it down was by the two classes that start together and list their progressions together:
(OW=origin world, CW=capital world, 3W=3rd planet in the progression)
*Note – There are two worlds listed in the origin world section as through your fleet you do have the ability at this time of going to the other origin world for your faction if you choose. The first one listed is the planet you will start the game on as that class.
- Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent- OW Hutta/Korriban, CW Dromond Kas, 3W Balmorra
- Sith Warrior and Sith Inquisitor- OW Korriban/Hutta, CW Dromond Kas, 3W Balmorra
- Trooper and Smuggler- OW Ord Mantell/Tython, CW Coruscant, 3W Taris
- Jedi Knight and Jedi Consular- OW Tython/Ord Mantell, CW Coruscant, 3W Taris
As you can see it follows a certain pattern, there are four possible OW, 2 possible CW, and then the class quest line guides you to the 3rd world, and then onward through which ever path you choose.
After the third world you can choose to follow the path your class quests lay out for you which should take you in this direction for either faction:
(level range is a approximate based on mob level, resource node level, level of content available and etc)
- Level 20-24 Nar Shaddaa
- Level 24-28 Tattoine
- Level 28-32 Alderaan
- Level 32-36 Taris
- Level 36-37 Quesh
- Level 37-41 Hoth
- Level 41-44 Belsavis
- Level 44-47 Voss
- Level 47-50 Corellia
- Level 50 Ilum
* Note- There is also something that bears to be mentioned in this progression, which isn’t a planet location so I didn’t put it in the flow, but will be every bit as important to you as a player as any planet will ever be and that’s your “Fleet” location. There are two, one for each faction. The Empire has the “Vaiken Spacedock” and the Republic has the “Carrick Station”.
From what we know from Bioware there will be seventeen planets at launch. As far as I am aware at this time that means that with the restrictions that are in place now of what worlds you can visit and which you can’t as a particular faction, each side should have access to a total of fourteen worlds each that they can visit, with capital worlds changing based on which faction you decide to play.
I hope that helps to allow you to make a plan for when you are able to get in game and explore all those awesome planets!
Please be sure to leave any and all comments on this guide in the comments area below and be sure to follow me on Twitter for announcements as to updates to these guides or of new general game play or crew skills focused guides in the future.
Thanks for taking the time to read and comment!
Taris and Balmorra are the oddities here. Taris is, in my opinion, the intended 3rd planet for the Republic side. Balmorra on the other hand, comes after Alderaan for what I experienced on the Republic side.
I know the Empire gets the option to travel to Balmorra or Nar Shaddaa after their capital world. I believe the Empire also visits Taris later on, but not sure exactly when this happens.
I had a hard time trying to work that one spot out in this guide for sure. you are correct it appears the progression is slightly different from one faction to the other in regards to taris and a couple of other spots. I put it there though where I did because it does have some content at that level range and resource nodes that help span that gap at that level range. its a return visit for some factions at that point but its content you couldnt do at the lower levels. that was the toughest part of this guide trying to figure out how to deal with that part indeed.
thank you as always Ajay I appreciate your support and interaction on all my material.
Enjoyed the guide – nice clarifications of the differences between each class/faction’s progression. Thanks! 🙂
thank you cathy I appreciate that you took the time to let me know this is appreciated, that inspires me to work harder 🙂
I dont know where to put this since in datacron page we cant let a message so …..
Quesh has datacrons, why arent you put them yet? didnt find them? just asking
for your listing here you can put Taris/Balmorra 32-36 behind Alderaan. It just depends on which side you are on. What you have above is for imperial players, with Taris being replaced by Balmorra after Alderaan for republic players…
this is only empire side
Quesh is too OP must nerf now!